When I first began running my route at Kent State, I was shocked at how unfriendly the other runners were. Back in my hometown of Chardon, I would pass another runner, walker or biker and have a full out conversations with them. In Kent, other runners wouldn’t even look at me, let alone give me a friendly smile or wave.
When the weather recently and finally turned warm again (or ok, semi warm now – uhh alright, when the weather finally hit about 40 degrees.) I found myself outside running my normal route in Kent. This time, I was greeted by loads of other runners, all of which seemed to be just as excited as me to be outside running. I kept smiling to myself as I passed six or seven other runners who all acknowleged me somehow when we ran past eachother. This was more like I had expected!
Runners have a registered respect for each other, so every time you pass another runner or run by them, you should take the second to give them a quick smile, a friendly nod or a clever grin. You’re both out there for the same reason, why not encourage the other one?
Speaking of acknowledging other runners, I came across a funny post from a blog called Pace of Chicago, an Endurance Sports Blog. At the end of the post (which was promoting this awesome Hot Chocolate 15K and 5K, COOL) it had the most hilarious “running pick-up lines.” Take a look:
1. Hey Baby, your pace or mine.
2. Are your legs tired, because you have been running around in my head all race.
3. I didn’t know angels could run as well as fly.
4. That’s not a Clif bar in my running shorts, I am happy to meet you.
5. Let’s take a finishers picture together, so I can show Santa what I want for Christmas.
6. Did you get lost on the run, heaven’s a long way from here.
7. For you divorced guys. You run like you could be my next ex. wife.
8. Apart from being fast and sexy, what do you do for a living.
9. The best way to relax after a race is a shower.
10. Are we sprinting, cuz. you just made me hit zone 5.
Take a look at the rest of the blog at here.
Keep running guys!